- 24 hour Emergency Wardens
- Animal Welfare
- Animal friendly hotels
- Awards & Recognition
- Corporate and group days
- Dog Fouling
- Dog Friendly Pubs
- Dogs Barking
- GSPCA Build Appeal
- GSPCA Committee
- GSPCA Membership
- GSPCA Opening & Visiting Times
- Gert the GSPCA Duck - Fun for kids
- Guernsey Animal Law
- Guernsey Dog Tax Law
- Our Team
- Restrictions on Beaches in Guernsey
- St Andrews Floral Group & Conservation Work
- Stray Cockerels & Hens
- Transporting animals in and out of Guernsey
- Adoption costs at the GSPCA
- Boarding Facilities
- Cat Adoption
- Choosing a Puppy
- Comments & Feedback
- Dog Adoption
- Dog Behaviour
- Dog Training
- Education and Schools
- Fostering Scheme
- Guided Tours at the GSPCA
- Lost & Found Advice
- Microchipping only £4.99 & advice
- Pet Bereavement Advice Page
- Pet Cremation Services
- Pet supplies and products on sale
- Room hire at the GSPCA
- Training & Courses
- Vote for a staff member or volunteer
MINIMUM ADOPTION CHARGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
(Correct as of 13th January 2017, additional costs may able to certain species)
Birds (varied) from £16.00
Guinea Pigs £30.00
All guinea pigs are treated for parasites
All ferrets are neutered & treated for parasites
All rabbits are neutered where possible, vaccinated against myxi & treated for parasites
All cats are neutered (or booked in when of age), vaccinated, treated for worms & parasites
All dogs are neutered (or booked in when of age), vaccinated, treated for worms & parasites
Other species vary, please ask for details. To provide the welfare and care for animals on site the adoption charges only cover part of the costs, please ask how you can support our work.
With all animals we look to do a home visit unless the animals enclosure for small species can be brought up to the Shelter. Also if you live in rented accomodation or States Housing you need to ensure you have written permission (to see the States Housing procedures please click here)
To see the animals looking for homes at the GSPCA Animal Shelter please click here.
The GSPCA are always trying to ensure we match up the right animal for the right home.
Animals come into the Shelter for all sorts of reasons and we have to ensure each is suited to a home that can meet its needs.
The GSPCA is a self-supporting Guernsey charity and we depend on the people of the Island for the funding needed to maintain our work for the animal welfare and rescue work that is carried out 24 hours 7 days a week.
The normal adoption procedure is as follows:-
- Fill in a Questionnaire (this is done at reception with a member of staff or can be downloaded from our website www.gspca.org.gg/animals ).
- Select the Animal You Wish to Adopt with a member of the GSPCA team. Viewing of Small Animals, Birds and Cats is between 11am and 4.30pm Monday to Saturday, Sunday 11am - 4pm, closed some Bank Holidays. For Dogs please hand or send your form in and a member of the Dog Adoption team will be in touch as soon as they possibly can (Viewing includes having a full history known by the Shelter on the animal being explained as well, as a report of the animals behaviour at the GSPCA and at least one introduction to the animal with all people living in the household before reserving or booking. Some animals will need further visits after Reservation, please ask for more details).
- Once an Animal is Reserved a Home Visit is Arranged (these are done by volunteers and staff and can take an average of 3 to 7 days, if you do not hear anything after 3 days of Reserving an animal please contact the Animal Shelter on 01481 257261).
- After the Home Visit Please Await a Call from the GSPCA (this is so that we can ensure that the animal is ready before leaving the Shelter and that a staff member can have all of the adoption forms prepared for you when you arrive).
- Appointment Made to Collect Animal (Personal I.D Required, you will be given an adoption pack and a member of staff will go through the adoption forms with you. Please be aware we do have a shop area with a large selection of pet supplies and goods).
- Post Home Visit (if required).
The adoption donations are only a contribution to the costs of (depending on species), for example, neutering, microchipping, parasite treatment, vaccinations, care and the large running costs of GSPCA Animal Shelter.
We can blood test Cats for FIV / FELV for an additional £30 before adoption if you are interested in having this done.
If you are adopting a Rabbit or Ferret, we neuter if they are old enough before you collect. We can also microchip them for an additional £4.99. Please let us know before collection and we can get either of these done.
To find out more about the Dog Adoption Procedure please click here.
To find out more about the Cat Adoption Procedure please click here.
To see the animals looking for homes please go to - www.gspca.org.gg/animals
For more information please call 01481 257261 or pop into the Animal Shelter in St Andrews.